No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, Roths can be self-directed. All earnings and dividend reinvestment are tax free upon withdrawal when made after age 59 1/2 yrs. old, holding it for five years minimum because the monies originally invested were taxed which is different from the monies invested in a 401K or a roll-over IRA which were deducted and invested prior to taxation.

I just opened a Roth with Schwab directing it to be invested in their Dogs of the Dow portfolio which saves a tremendous amount on commissions. Look into it. I originally was going to do the Foolish Four and changed my mind when I calculated the commissions involved each year to continue the investment to be updated every 13 months.

I think this is a really good opportunity for long range investment compounding and earning free of taxation.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.