Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, SEP-IRAs can be converted to a traditional IRA with no tax consequences. You could add traditional IRA contributions to that. Whether or not you should contribute new money to a traditional IRA (assuming you can deduct the contribution) or a Roth depends on your current income tax bracket and your projected income tax bracket when you retire.

You could, if you wanted, also convert it to a Roth IRA at this point. If you're in a low tax bracket (i.e. 15% or less) now but you think it may be higher in the future, this would be a good time to perform a Roth conversion as well if you can afford the tax (less than $150 in that case plus state taxes, and possibly considerably less).

As far as your freelance work, I believe this is also a form of self-employment income (may depend on the work, and I'm not a tax pro.) If it's self-employment income, it's subject to a punitive 15.3% self-employment tax. You could also open something like a self-directed individual 401(k) plan for the self-employment income and shelter it from income taxes (but not self-employment taxes).

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.