Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, she can just report the income. It goes on the same line as jury duty, just label it hobby income. The IRS only cares about income. If you don't want to claim the expenses, that is just fine by them. Some people use hobbies as businesses to "hide" income and reduce tax. But if you are making very little money, just report it as income and don't worry about the expenses.

If in the future, she does decide to become more active in the business, start worrying about the expenses then.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.