No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, thanks to following Saul's board over the past 2 years, I'm up 34% year to date, and have achieved my financial independence goals at least 7 years ahead of schedule. An investor duplicating Saul's buys and sells would have quadrupled his money over the past 27 months, which is an astounding result. For example, a $250K portfolio starting Jan. 1, 2017 would be worth $1 million today.

Saul's post today explaining how he's up 37% this quarter is a must read: https://boards.fool.com/my-portfolio-at-the-end-of-mar-2019-......

Don't expect these returns every year, though. Longer term, Saul's CAGR from Jan. 2000 through today is 22.5%. Compounded, that means that a $100K portfolio managed by Saul that was started on Jan. 1, 2000 would be worth almost $5 million today.

My holdings and allocations are not quite the same as Saul's, but my YTD return is similar. My biggest holdings are shown below.

My Portfolio's Performance - Year to Date

Return
Symbol Description YTD Return Since Purch. Status
====== =========== ========== ============ ==============================
MDB MongoDB +84% +185% Holding (11 mos. since purch.)
ZS Zscaler +78% + 92% Holding (7 mos.)
TTD Trade Desk +71% +138% Holding (11 mos.)
TWLO Twilio +48% +281% Holding (15 mos.)
AYX Alteryx +45% +163% Holding (15 mos.)
OKTA Okta +32% + 54% Holding (10 mos.)
SQ Square +32% + 50% Holding (15 mos.)
AMZN Amazon +16% +368% Holding (49 mos.)
NTNX Nutanix - 30% Sold 3/1/2019
NEWR New Relic - 18% Sold 1/2/2019

My Perspective on This
Firstly, my philosophy now is to hold winners as long as possible (at least 3 years), as long as the growth numbers stay intact after each quarterly earnings call. Sell only when a company disappoints after an earnings call. And do absolutely nothing between earnings calls. I ignore any FUD news, ignore CNBC, ignore market timing signals, ignore market prognosticators, ignore bottom callers and top callers, etc. As an example of FUD news, MongoDB declined over 10% about a month ago because Amazon announced a competing product. But MSFT tried to compete in the same way years ago and failed. I did nothing, and MDB went up 50% since that news.

Secondly, I'm quite comfortable holding a concentrated basket of SaaS companies and tech companies, because I know their products very well. The company where I work uses Twilio, Zscaler, MongoDB and Okta quite heavily, and so do our customers. SaaS may be one of the best business models ever invented. Imagine a perpetually recurring subscription-based revenue stream with a gross margin of over 85% (software is free to deliver at the margin). All of the above companies have 9-figure annual revenue streams that are growing at least at 30%, and, in some cases, 65%+.

Thirdly, I don't confuse risk with volatility. My portfolio was up 15% overall last year, beating the market by 20 percentage points. But I had a drawdown of 20% on the way to being up 15%, and that was just volatility, not risk. If I incur another 20% drawdown after being up 35% this year, I'm perfectly OK with that. I'm no good at market timing. Never have been.

Ron

I have been reading through his board, and your post is very helpful. Thank you for it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.