Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes, the tech was laughable. And the ability to deploy it so quickly was equally so. Also, the impact didn't show enough ejecta (though the shock wave radiating outward was probably reasonably close).

But I still enjoyed the movie. When an existential threat is bearing down upon us, are we going to worry about the midterm elections? Which celebrity couple are breaking up? And the "Don't Look Up" mantra from the denialists was spot-on. That is right out of the COVID denialists (claiming it doesn't even exist). I loved the addition of the trucker hat.

It was a commentary about our society more than anything else. Heck, did you see the after-credit scene? The guy using his phone to update some type of social media, while all around him was devastation?

I suspect there would be some denying it until the end; others would demand action; and still others might try to figure out how to profit from it (e.g. I thought the Elon Musk guy was hilarious not wanting to destroy the object because it had $40T worth of rare earth elements).
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.