Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

There's probably some other kinds of income you could include in that list, but they would be far less common than those three.

Thanks. I confirmed this by taking a closer look at the Form 1040, Line 44 "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet"; indeed, you add qualified dividends and long term gains and subtract that from the taxable income and, if less than zero, you pay not tax in this case.

So back to my original question, is there any good reason to not shift between funds in my daughter's UTMA to take long term gains? This appears to be a good strategy to reduce future taxable income by 10's of thousands. Other than filing another simple tax return, it seems like a no brainer.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.