Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
Yes, this is exactly the debate that arises when we talk about this -- is paying off the mortgage the best deployment of resources? For us, I suppose many would answer that it is not. And as with snowballing debt, sometimes the most optimal choice is not the most comfortable choice. For me, three things point to paying off being the wiser course. DH is 10 years from full retirement age, we already have significant investments in other areas, and the market has experienced a significant rally recently. Also, paying off the mortgage will leave some funds available for investment. And right now, I'm not finding a lot of really interesting investment opportunities. I have cash (from dividends) in my Rollover IRA that has been building for quite a while as I look for opportunities that I like. I'm thinking about several, but have not pulled the trigger on any yet.

I've followed the arguments that one should keep a mortgage and invest, because mortgage interest rates are low. They make sense financially, assuming the mortgage holder is comfortable with the leverage and the ongoing commitment to pay principal and interest.

But I can't shake a deep conviction that it's not as simple as analyzing finances with interest rates and Monte Carlo simulations of possible results for the S&P 500 or total stock market index. A lot of personal factors come into play.

In my case, I know myself to be very security oriented, which is not the same thing as having a low risk tolerance. I paid my mortgage years ago, and never seriously considered taking a new mortgage or home equity loan with the idea of having more to invest. Having no mortgage means I have a lower bar of required expenses before I can retire. I cleared that lower bar about a year ago, and retired a few years earlier than I thought I would.

Now, I have no mortgage. I'm fully invested across a taxable brokerage account, a traditional IRA funded by rolling over my last 401(k), and a Roth IRA. My Fidelity Financial Adviser thinks I'm invested too aggressively in stocks. I think bonds don't offer enough return to be worth their risk right now, and I'm comfortable with a portfolio of stocks throwing off more in dividends than I need to draw to cover living expenses.

Yeah, my net worth is lower than a bunch of frequent posters on the Retirement Investing board; but it's enough for me. Life is good, financially. I don't need to make the picture more complex by adding leverage in the form of a mortgage.

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.