Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2004/jul/01/070107664.html

It looks like Virginia messed up.

From the article: "Because of a legislative oversight, a new Virginia law requires businesses to give workers Saturdays or Sundays off if they want it, alarming some businesses with weekend and round-the-clock shifts to cover."

Again: "So as of Thursday, the start of the state's fiscal year, all non-management employees can choose Sunday or Saturday - if that is their day of Sabbath - as their rest day. A worker who "conscientiously believes" that Saturday should be observed as the Sabbath must provide written notice to the employer."

This might be good news for Jewish and Seventh-day Adventist employees who work weekends. With more people in this country who recognize Sunday as the sabbath, those who choose Saturday off might be able to command more pay. But they'd better submit that in writing ...

And again: "Democratic Gov. Mark Warner, who signed the bill into law, said he would support legislation in the January session that would fix the bill retroactively."

What's with the retroactive legislation?

And one more: "If the governor has a problem with a bill he signed, he should call a special session and get it fixed," - Tim Martaugh, spokesman for Attorney General Jerry Kilgore

Well, at least Martaugh/Kilgore's suggestion is reasonable. Until then, businesses will just have to deal with the effects of this bad legislation.

Sorry, Virginia. Just because you and I believe in the Sabbath doesn't give us the right to enforce its observance.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 10
How is this for a plan?

I shall move from Connecticut to Virginia.

I shall get a job.

I shall then start a religion that worships Odin, the big kahoona of Norse gods. And we all know that Wednesday is derived from "Woden's Day," (Woden being an alternate spelling Odin) so that will, of course, necessarily be my high holy day.

I will therefore demand every Wednesday off to wear a funky helmet with cool horns, a fur cape and to sit around the house drinking mead. Or, possibly to get a really good tee time. I think I should build a bit flexibility into my faith, don't you?

Should Virginia (or my employer) cry out that only Saturday and Sunday are legitimate days of worship, I shall bring a lawsuit for an untold sum that my religious rights are being violated under the establishment of religion clause, and that as a practitioner of a minority faith not only am I unable to practice my faith, I am also being discriminated against, as it is hardly the business of the state to reward one religion over another.

Given the rather odd judgments that our courts render in this day and age, it would not surprise that I would win, and win big.

IJL, $$$ flashing before his eyes
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<How is this for a plan?>>

Good plan. Good luck.

<<I think I should build a bit flexibility into my faith, don't you?>>

I think you meant this in terms of worshipping through golf, but it made me think about something else. If you want to worship Odin on Wednesday (or go golfing), then you'll have to reach a private agreement with your employer. If you're just a Christmas/Easter kind of Odin worshipper (all right, you know what I mean), then you might have more options when looking for employment.

I personally refuse to work on Sunday, but I can't expect the government to guarantee me a day off. I just make my expectations clear to my employer and if they don't like it, I pack my bags. My attitude probably limits my options a little, but I get along fine.

Your flexibility in your faith is a personal matter. Government intrusion in your faith is a public one.

But let me know how your plan works out. And if Virginia doesn't like your flexible Odin/golf faith, maybe you could try Thor/badminton worship on Thursday. If that doesn't work, give me a call. We'll mobilize an army of lawyers and get you that fortune that's waiting in Virginia's treasury.

P.S. I want 10%.
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is the natural result of having so many laws that the entire staff of the legislature can not keep up with them.

Democratic Gov. Mark Warner, who signed the bill into law, said he would support legislation in the January session that would fix the bill retroactively.

Does that mean those who are paid triple time between now and January have to give the money back?

But Kilgore spokesman Tim Murtaugh said that solution won't work either because the attorney general would essentially be asked not to enforce a law.

Why is this suddenly a problem for the government? There are literally hundreds of archaic, outdated, silly, unenforceable laws on the books that are not currently enforced.

Perhaps the best idea would be for the government to get out of the business of trying to run business (hmm… where have I heard that before?).

The Barbarian
- who never works Saturday or Sunday because I choose not to.