Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yes, you can make a non-deductible contribution to a traditional IRA. You need to track it on Form 8606 to you have a record of the basis in the IRA so you aren't taxed on it again at withdrawal.

However, I'm confused by your question. Do you want to sell stocks that are already in the IRA? If so, you don't need to make a contribution for the current year in order to do so.

Who has spent the morning doing doing sample returns for a Retirement Tax class I'm facilitating for my employer in two weeks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.