Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Yes, you should pay it back, and let me explain why.

The counter-intuitive thing is that the interest rate on a 401K loan is nearly irrelevant. You're paying interest to yourself (well, your 401K) so its not really costing you anything, its just moving money from one pocket (your paycheck) to another (your 401K).

However, the *real* cost of your 401K is in lost returns. The interest, dividends, and capital gains that you would earn on the money. The cost of this varies from year to year depending on the market, but, on average, chances are, will be around 10%. That's a pretty expensive loan.

But, as you may point out, you have the money invested right now in a brokerage account. Well, that may add another level of thought, but, to me, makes the answer even more conclusive. Assuming that the category of equities you are invested in the taxable account is reasonably equivalent to the types of funds you would have in the 401K, then the main difference is that you are currently paying taxes on any gains, and in the 401K all that would be tax deferred (if this assumption doesn't hold, then the question becomes much messier). So, the only difference between keeping the money in your brokerage and using it to pay of your 401K, is that here the gains are taxed immediately, and there they are tax deferred for years.

Seems to me moving the money back into your 401K is the answer.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.