Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Good morning, Fools!

Three out of four BS numbers were in range (after breakfast, after lunch and after dinner).

I'm still having trouble getting my fasting number in range. Some days it is and amd some days it isn't. The problem is I don't know what is affecting it. This morning it was 3 points out of range (it was 133). My doctor wants it between 90 and 130. The lowest it has ever been was 108.

Is it true that exercising after dinner will help lower my fasting number? I admit I'm lazy when it comes to exercise so I haven't tried this.

Cheers,

Shire
Print the post Back To Top
I'm still having trouble getting my fasting number in range.

This could just be me, but I've found the most reliable way of lowering the fasting number is to make sure I do a bedtime snack, which I too often don't bother with.

Phil
No. of Recommendations: 2
It seems counter-intuitive, but Phil is right. The body naturally produces glucose while you are sleeping in advance of waking up to give you energy for the morning, kind of like a pre-breakfast breakfast. If the body thinks you are low, it will produce extra glucose. For a diabetic, the body doesn't get a good read on how much glucose it needs and usually pumps too much into your blood stream. For some reason, certain evening snacks (for me, a 20g carb snack bag of microwave popcorn about 10pm), the body realizes it has glucose already and therefore does not produce more than it needs.

Fuskie
Who thinks it is kind of like a gas guage that doesn't quite reach the bottom so that you have to have a little at the bottom of the tank before it registers...
yes, exercise will help lower your numbers in general.
I'm still having trouble getting my fasting number in range. Some days it is and amd some days it isn't. The problem is I don't know what is affecting it.

This is called the Dawn Effect. No one has quite figured out exactly what causes it nor how to deal with it. Exercise and a late night snack, as others have suggested, have worked in a lot of cases, but other people report no success with that.
This is called the Dawn Effect. No one has quite figured out exactly what causes it nor how to deal with it. Exercise and a late night snack, as others have suggested, have worked in a lot of cases, but other people report no success with that.

I get up before dawn on weekdays! One of the curses of commuting.

Last night at bedtime I had a piece of gruyere cheese and walnuts, and this morning my fasting number was 110! Hurray! I'll try a snack again tonight to see whether it was a fluke or if this works for my body. *fingers crossed*

Cheers,

Shire