No. of Recommendations: 0
Forgive me, because I have not done all the math. Responsible folks reading this board will be aghast. http://news.yahoo.com/student-loan-slavery-paying-more-loans...

"I just paid $1,810 in student loans this month. I make on average around $1,500. That's not counting another $500 monthly payment my parents make.
So, really, my student loans in total each month are $2,310 and rising. The only reasons I'm not broke is thanks to my tax return, that not all loans came out of deferral at the same time and that payment my parents make. Thankfully my parents allow me to live in their basement in Rochester, Minn., rent-free.
I work full-time at a job that I wouldn't have required my college degree in sociology from Arizona State. ..." and " At 27, I am a slave to my student loans with no end in sight. I owe more than $160,000. My lenders, private and federal, thus far are unwilling to work with each other or me, even after I explain my situation in depth. I wish there was an individual or group that would fight on my behalf."

First, if you are reading this and find yourself in the situation of this poor person, post here and some of us will try to help you out. I don't think this person or her parents have worked with the system, at least on the federal side, to reduce her burden.

Secondly, if you rack up $160,000 in loan debt at a state supported school getting a sociology degree, our education advising system failed you or you shouldn't have been in college.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.