Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
yet I read in other places that I am young and should go High Risk

Double-check what those areas mean by "High Risk."

The sites I read that talk of young people being able to take on more risk usually are referring to 80% to 100% equities (e.g., stock funds), as contrasted against less risky portfolios of 40% to 60% equities. And the equities suggested by those sites are broadly diversified funds, such as a "core fund" of large cap blend (the S&P500 Index funds and the Russell 3000 Index funds fit this category) and some spicing of other funds if desired, or they talk of asset allocation among large caps (majority), mid-caps (sometimes), small caps, and international, as well as some bond exposure.

Yet, a number of younger people read "more risk" to mean risky, such as sector plays or greatly overweighted in small caps. It's one thing to have time to recover from mistakes after taking prudent risks, it is another to go out of one's way to take imprudent risks.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.