No. of Recommendations: 2
Yet most people would agree that consciousness exists.

I neither agree nor disagree. Do dreams exist? Where are they? Point me to one. You can't. Neither can I. Yet I'm sure I've experienced them. I couldn't prove that to you, however. And while I think I'm "conscious", I couldn't prove that to you either. Even if we were face-to-face. You might assume I am (as you undoubtedly believe you are), but I don't know how I could demonstrate I have the property of "consciousness".

What is "exist"? You can skip the "composed of matter or energy", because I already accept that. But what is it in terms of more illusory things like dreams and consciousness? Religion brings up "spirit", which at least is a "thing" (though as one debater I follow has explained, it is the most "dead concept in apologetics").

1poorguy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.