Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Yikes! Having to choose between all those funds can be quite intimidating!

I agree with CABob's advise to first allocate everything to a retirement target date fund, while you get yourself a little bit of an education on investing.

One book I would highly recommend is Bernstein's "Four Pillars of Investing". A second choice would be "The Coffeehouse Investor". A third choice would be Bogle's book on Mutual Funds.

I think reading any one of these books would be a better investment of your time than chasing all over the web for research and advice, which you have no way of guaging how reliable the research or advice is.

Much of how you handle your investing portfolio now and in the future is determined by how much education you're willing to get, how much time and energy you're willing to devote, and how much you think you'll get rewarded for doing so. In the end, it's up to you.

But keep in mind that there are many 'lazy' investors who do quite well simply by knowing the basics of portfolio allocation. Spending too much time and energy researching every investment option is, IMHO, often not the way one wants to spend their leisure life.

2old

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.