Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings,

So I bought a Boxster a few weeks ago and love it so far. Sometime in the past 2 days I drove over a *$%!ing nail, which is now embedded deep in the front driver's side tire. I'm supposed to go on a bit of a road trip later today so I've been calling around town to find a replacement. $325 for a Pirelli 225/40ZR18. I knew they'd be expensive but that caught me by surprise. I was guessing somewhere around $200 each. Does that price sound reasonable?

Wot
Print the post Back To Top
$325 for a Pirelli 225/40ZR18. I knew they'd be expensive but that caught me by surprise. I was guessing somewhere around $200 each. Does that price sound reasonable?
===*===

Yeah, it sounds reasonable for a Porsche tire but SUM!TCH I put FOUR on the Honda for that price [yeah yeah I know, but still].

Raggmopp
Hey Wot,

Just a though, you might want to try www.tirerack.com. Not sure exactly what Pirelli you want, but they have Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico in your size and speed rating for $181 front and $234 rear.

I used them when I bought new tires for my Honda.

Lenny
After a little bit of calling around town I found a Pirelli dealer that sells this tire for $200. I found quite a variation as I called around town. I would have thought the prices only varied by $25-$30 but that's definitely not the case.

And thanks for the pointer to that website. If I didn't need this tire replaced today I'd consider getting them there.

Wot
Is the nail through the side or the tread area? If it's through the thread area it may be removed, patched and replaced on the car. You don't spend a lot of highway miles at high speed, do you? I think the patch would hold in that case.

Did you get road hazard coverage with the tires when you bought the car?

Tigerman
"...thread area..." I was changing over from threaded to un-threaded and it interfaced with my tread thought, oh well.

Tigerman
The nail was through the tread. I thought about getting it patched but I've never trusted patched tires. I may just be paranoid. I don't spend a LOT of miles at high speed, but as many as possible :)

The car did come with some sort of roadside assistance coverage but to tell you the truth I don't know what it covers. Guess I should read up on that today. My recollection is that it just covers towing but I could be wrong.

Since I was in a hurry I paid to have the tire replaced. The $200 tire was the wrong type, a Pirelli P7000 instead of a PZero. Had to wait another half hour to get a PZero delivered and it cost me $250 instead of $200 but at least it's fixed.

Wot
...I don't spend a LOT of miles at high speed, but as many as possible :)

They patch eighteen wheeler tires which have a lot more stress on them than passenger car tires but then some of those drivers don't worry about tire pressure enough, which is one big reason you see what they call 'gators' (separated treads) on the shoulders of the road.

Glad your back up and running.

Tigerman
No. of Recommendations: 1
Does that price sound reasonable?

========================================================================

Only if the tire comes with a new factory alloy wheel.

UncleLee

P.S. Glad to hear you're rolling again. I'm surprised your Porsche dealer didn't jump all over your problem.