No. of Recommendations: 1
Yo, H20sailing.

<<TMFSheard presented some excellent information in yesterday's F4 segment on capital gains. Was hoping someone could explain if the cap gains rules are identical for money in a self directed roll-over IRA account. The account was created with $$$ (only) from a 401K account from previous employment.>>

No, no, and a thousand times no. Capital gains rates have no applicability to an IRA. They are unrecognized in one, and any time there are earnings and those earnings are withdrawn from the IRA they will be taxed at the ordinary income tax rate in effect in the year of withdrawal. When you think IRA, think "ordinary income tax rates" and fergidaboud capital gains rates.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.