Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
You add back the foreign income exclusion to adjusted gross income to determine if you have enough earnings to contribute to
a Roth.

True but only regarding whether you meet the level-of-income test, assuming you have taxable earned income. But IF you exclude all your income from taxation using the foreign income exclusion, you don't have taxable earned income--a basic requirement for any IRA. See the difference? Your Roth is not legal if you excluded all your income.

Consider reassessing what you think you know about your situation.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.