Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You are renting which means you do not have real estate or mortgage interest for deductions. Unfortunately, this means that the charitable deductions may not be of value. Itemized deductions must exceed your standard deduction to have any effect on your taxes. Your state taxes, unreimbursed job expenses, and any personal property tax are also itemized deductions.

I am not sure of the rules on educational deductions. There are Hope and Lifetime learning credits. It maybe that upto $3,000 would qualify for an educational deduction. Check the 1040 instructions for line 26. Others will probably have a better answer.

Are you paying for the school related business trips? Unreimbursed employee expenses and work related educational expenses (amount not claimed for other educational credit) may qualify as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. The amount over 2% of your income is included as an itemized deductions.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.