Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
You are the second person to state the answer "NO" to this type of question without quoting your source. As a retired Research Scientist, I used to make my living by questioning all opinions unsupported by data -- so -- what is the IRS publication that forbids this ?

Sorry if I seem rude, but all that I seek is the truth.

P.S. -- I disagree with your argument that this is a stupid thing to do. If one wishes to contribute to an IRA, one contributes say $2000 in cash. The question is can $2000 worth of appreciated securities be contributed instead. If this is permissable, one would never have to pay the capitol gains on the appreciation. It is similiar to contributing appreciated stock to a charity and taking a deduction for the total value.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.