Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
You avoided income tax on the money in your IRAs when you put it in. Tax has to be paid when it is taken out.

You talk about gains on APPL, etc. If these gains are in an IRA, you can sell those stocks and invest in others things within your IRA. Just about any bank or brokerage will be happy to "help" you. I suggest brokerages like Schwab or Vanguard - but others will have different recommendations.

Since you say you need funds from your IRA, I am going to assume you plan on spending this money in retirement as opposed to gifting it after your death to someone. That being the case, you should look carefully at the numbers before making a Roth conversion. Yes the funds from the Roth are tax free when withdrawn, but you will have a big tax hit up front and it takes a long time to earn that back. The tax hit once you stop earning money will be much lower - assuming you take funds out over a period of 10 or 20 years.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.