Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
You brashly alleged that I don't understand Arithmetic then.

You dont! You can DO arithmetic, I bet everyone on this board can, but you certainly have
a tendency to spout crazy numbers which make no sense.

There's a big difference between being able to do the mechanics of something and understanding it.

Everyone has this problem to varying degrees, I do too. Almost everyone mistakes familiarity with the mechanics, with
an actual ingrained automatic understanding. However, based on numbers you routinely throw in your
posts, I certainly am of the opinion that you suffer from this more than most.

I think you overlook the big picture/strategy. I believe that point in time data may not always be the entire story.

Amazon was not just a "book retailer" - especially after 5 years in its evolution. Tesla is a similar story as Amazon. Tesla is NOT "just another automobile company". Tesla's investors are not stupid just like Amazon's investors are not.

Tesla's billions of dollars of investments in Gigafactory and Supercharger network proves that they are not just another GM. I have always maintained Tesla's future is not guaranteed (as Toyota's is). It is in too hard pile for many of us. The Model 3 HAS to work. IF it does work all the parts will start clicking. They have a 5 year head start in cheaper batteries, charging stations, self driving, designs, safety. This will widen the moat between the GMs/Fords/BMWs and Tesla's.

Again with the deflection, throw everything at the wall. If your numbers don't make sense, talk
about grand strategy. If the arguments around EV adoption, autonomous and cars don't make sense,
talk about how they are not just "another automobile company". All else fails, talk about Amazon,
big picture and grand strategy. Never once mention what needs to happen with the business to justify
the numbers and price paid. Always point to the outcome in stock price.

My money is on Tesla. It will work. We will see where we are in 3 years. Market cap of $300B.

It could work. They could also get to that market cap. I am not going to baby you through what sort
of unprecedented business (as opposed to stock price) performance is required to get to the numbers you are
proposing (heck even stock price if you are proposing that in 3 years).

Yeah, I think I'll stand by my brazen claim that you don't get arithmetic.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.