Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You can buy the forms at any office supply store and fill them out by hand, then drop them in the mail. If you are friends with any tax accountants, they might give you a few copies of the forms for free for you to fill out.

The form itself is very simple. I own a real estate company and have to send out a dozen of them at the end of each year. If you send out any 1099s, you also need to fill out a 1096, which is the form that summarizes all the 1099s and which you send to the IRS with a copy of all the 1099s. The 1096 can be handwritten as well, but it must be on the red ink form.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.