Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You can do it, but only by having the additional amount withheld. For estimated tax penalty purposes, withholding is applied equally throughout the year, but estimated tax payments are credited as of the date paid.

I understand now, thanks to this and other responses below. The IRS considers the tax due when the income is received, so an estimated tax payment is only appropriate if I recieved extra income without the proper withholding in that quarter. I'll just have to increase my withholding for my last few checks. Thanks!

The penalty applies only to the period of underpayment, spread equally through the year. For 2003, the last year for which I have the number handy, the annualized rate was approximately 2.9%. So, no, it would be much less than 6% of the total, although I can't give you the exact amount.

Ok, gotcha. Now it makes a little more sense.

Did you make a 2005 IRA contribution or not? If you did, we'll go into the details of your options here. If you're just curious, read about recharacterizations and nondeductible traditional IRA contributions in the FAQ over there --------------------->.

No, the question was just out of curiosity. I had been thinking about making a traditional IRA contribution, but it sounds like a Roth is the right way to go this year. Thanks for the link.

Moving on to your next post, the 2006 figures have been released, but I don't know if the 2006 W-4 is out yet or not. You can find the figures in Rev. Proc 2005-70, which you can get from the IRS site. For W-4 purposes, use the 2005 version and make the following changes...

Thanks, sir! I don't plan to be in this situation next year.

Thank you to all the participants on this thread- you all cleared the cobwebs from my thinking.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.