Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
You can do it either way. There is a slight chance that you may get a letter from the IRS if you combine the multiple sales, but it will be easily explained. Do whatever is easiest for you.

Ira

Thanks. I'm not sure I want to take a chance on getting a letter from the IRS, so I think I'll just take the time to itemize everything to match the 1099-B (although it's not going to match anyway by the time I break out the short-term and long-term shares).

Oh well, one follow-up question that came to mind as I was sorting through the various line items. Since the fractional shares were actually acquired during calendar year 2008, my initial thoughts were that the "Cash in Lieu" liquidation of those fractional shares would necessarily be a short-term gain/loss. However, when applying the FIFO methodology, that does not appear to be the case. Am I correct in presuming that using the FIFO methodology, I would need to reflect not only a cost basis based on the cost of the original lot of shares purchased (before the fractional shares were acquired) but also reflect the actual date those original shares were actually purchased in the "Date Acquired" field? Thus, that would make the sale of the fractional shares actually a long-term gain/loss?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.