No. of Recommendations: 0
[[You can donate and step up the basis- but you (the donor)have to die.

I think this may be a confusing statement. The only way you can give stock and
have a stepped up basis is to die and have it given through your will. This is
assuming, of course, that the stock has appreciated in price.]]

Right...if stock is "given" by inheritance, the person receiving the stock receives a "step up" in basis to the FMV of the stock at the date of death.

But if appreciated stock is gifted, the person receiving the stock will have to retain the basis and holding person of the person giving the stock. So the gain on the stock will stay with the stock.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.