Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You can (if you wish) file a joint return. Check the publication 519, page 9. It says that if you are married at the end of the year and one of the spouses is a resident alien (I assume you are a citizen), you can CHOOSE to file as married filing jointly buy attaching a statement of that to your return. But remember, then you are both taxed on the worldwide income, which includes everething your husband made in the Bahamas. As far as his child, you have to follow the same support rules to qualify him/her as a dependent that described in an MF Taxes F.A.Q. area, with one caveat. Even if you can document childs qualifications as a dependent, you will need to get him a Social security number, and it is impossible if he is not in the country. So my guess is, you will have a very hard time establishing basis for a dependent child, but even then you will have immigration issues regarding his status.

Congratulations on your marrige, and good lack with INS! You will need it. IRS will look so much better after you compare it with immigration service.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.