Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
You can NEVER recover your "base" once you withdraw it. You cannot make any contributions in excess of the annually allowed limit. There is no "payback" provision to return the removed funds to your IRA.

I can put more in a Roth than I intended to otherwise. In any case, what I intend to withdraw is only like 15% of the total.

And if you didn't withdraw the 10K, you could still put in more than you intended to. Work the numbers and you'll see how much you will lose and it WILL be substantial.

Diverting retirement funds to other purposes is rarely a good idea since most people significantly underfund their retirement.

Unless you have a great 403b with generous matching. I know this goes against common wisdom, but for many people in their 30-s (like me) the retirement may be the simplest part of the total financial picture. With 13.5% of my salary going into a 403b (including matching), I tend to think that's enough. And also, with the long-term capital gains taxed at 5% you really don't pay that much for liquidity anyway.

Congratulations on being able to save such a significant portion of your income. That puts you far ahead of most others your age. However,
I don't understand your reference to 5% capital gains. First off, that rate is only in place until 2007 (It's 0% for 2008 and 10% for years after 2008.) and only applies if your taxable income is fully in the 10 or 15% tax bracket. If your taxable income is that low, it's highly unlikely that your 403b will provide enough income for your retirement if you plan on retiring before you're in your 70's. Also, 403b distributions are taxable as ordinary income, not capital gains.

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.