Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
You can only roll the 401k over into a traditional IRA. You can then convert all or part of that money into a Roth. I would strongly recommend that you pay the taxes on the converted amount out of pocket, and not out of the funds in the account.

If you can't afford to convert all of it from traditional to Roth, then figure out how much you can afford to pay taxes on now and convert just that amount this year. Next year (or whenever) you can convert more. Or if you can't afford to pay any taxes on it right now, then just leave it in the traditional IRA until you can afford it. Just my .02.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.