Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
You can refile your 2002 taxes, claiming the loss. It can offset up to $3000 of last year's income (assuming in 2002 you did not claim other losses). Since you only lost $2000 you can claim it all for the year in which the security became worthless, 2002.
If the stock was declared worthless in 2002, the exact date isn't important although your broker can probably give you a date to put.
Refiling last years taxes is not that difficult--you just amend the tax using I think it is 1040X, which asks for the item that differs, and pertinent figures from the 2002 1040. Not hard.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.