Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
You can start with the IRS website,
I know it's briefly mentioned in the instructions for 1040-ES, estimated taxes. Also look for a publication specifically on cap gains. I don't recall the number.

In summary, if you have capital gains which were taxed at 5% in 2007, they will be taxed at 0% in 2008. It's a little more complicated than that because you could have some cap gains with 0% tax and some with 15% tax depending on your total income.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.