Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
You can watch it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVEo_q3JzGA

It looks like both Fed Chair Jerome Powell and Secretary Mnuchin were testifying before the committee.

What I found interesting is the attitudes of the two men. Porter wasn't taking it easy on either one, although she was a bit more pointed with Mnuchin. But Powell was reasonably respectful, while Mnuchin was pompous and arrogant.

And, based on the times we are living in, Powell chose to wear a mask and Mnuchin did not. They appear to be appropriately distanced from each other and others in the room. So masks might be considered optional. Still, it reflects a bit of the attitudes of the two men.

As is typical of Porter, she had no countenance for evasive answers, cutting them off pretty quickly, especially when Mnuchin tried to steer things in a different direction.

There are much better ways to disagree than being disagreeable. After a quick look at the Cares Act, Mnuchin may have a point. The 2026 date may be merely the last day by which any unspent funds need to be returned. I don't immediately see a reason they can't be returned sooner. But, as Ms. Porter noted in the hearing, I am not a lawyer.

In Mnuchin's shoes, I would have responded a bit more passive aggressively rather than going into full-on attack and disrespect. My response would be something like, "I'm sorry ma'am. I don't have a calendar with me to confirm the year. Perhaps you could check the calendar app on your phone to determine the current year. I would check mine, but it is customary to turn such devices off while testifying to Congress." Basically, acknowledge the point with some levity instead of being a jerk.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.