Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
You can't count today's benefit for an LT without explaining how the LT would have taken advantage of it.

Sure I can. I was actively adding additional shares of some of my favorites in the past few days. All were purchased for the LT. No great timing indicators. I simply had some cash ready to invest.

I've been too lazy to go to the other end of the house and retrieve my book, but I believe the figure - according to Mike Buckley - is actually 8% of the trading days each year account for the majority of gains for that year. If you compute that figure, then it is not 10 days, but closer to 20 days. However one chooses to interpret that data is up to them.

Scott, I should be wise and stop the tinkle match with you now (although the amount of adult beverage my wife and I just consumed might facilitate my prowess at producing a nice stream this very moment.) I don't think I have a beef with anything your saying. Obviously it would have been better had I not made the original post in the first place. Considering that my money was in the market and I had not sold equities, I can simply say that being in the market today was more rewarding to me than had I sold all of my equities on Thursday, Friday or Monday and not been in the market today.

I guess that I could ask the question "since I was in the market sitting on the recent declines in my portfolio, does that mean that today didn't exist?". How about the value of my portfolio on December 5, 2000 compared to the value on December 5, 1999? Or 1998? Or 1992? Or 1980?

The WC is calling....

BB
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.