No. of Recommendations: 3
You can't use your self-employment income anyway, so forget about the CPA. A letter of explanation, something along these lines, ought to be all that's required.

To Whom It May Concern:

I've been asked to address the self-employment income reflected on my 2012 Federal tax return.

Last year, everyone at my former employer, [insert name], was reduced to 4-day work weeks. I used my saved up vacation time to make up the shortfall for a while and eventually started doing contract work on the side. In 2012, my income was 80% W-2 wages and 20% self-employment income. At the beginning of 2013, a lot of people at [insert name of former employer] got laid off. Those who weren't laid off were kept on at greatly reduced time, 50% for me. I picked up more contracting work right away, so my income was 50% salaried and 50% contract work for the first half of 2013. On [date], I accepted an offer of employment from the company for which I had been contracting. I started full time with them on [date], so my income returned to 100% salaried wages for the remainder of the year.

I hope this explanation is satisfactory.

Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.