No. of Recommendations: 0

You could, in fact, be liable to tax on the amount. Not because you stole it, but because you would be liable for the "cancellation of indebtedness income". Any
tax experts out there who could fill us in on the details? I'm not sure whether CC Cos report amounts written off to the IRS, but I wouldn't put it past them
to think of it.

I think that "written off" and "forgiven" are two different things.

"Writing off" your account is something done internally by a creditor. I don't think it means that you've settled your debt - it just means that the creditor decided that pursuing it will probably cost more than they'll get. Within your state's statute of limitations, they can decide to come back later after you.

When you're forgiven part of a debt, such as when the creditor or collection agency makes a settlement, your debt is settled and you don't owe anything anymore. Clearly in this case, you owe taxes on the part forgiven. (You received income because effectively somebody gave you money with which you paid off the deby that you owed.)

Anyway, as was said, the worse that can happen if you do not pay is that your credit report will be trashed and they can sue you and garnish wages. Depending on the amount that you owe, they will often give up before filing a suit....but I wouldn't count on it.

There are laws in which the collectors must act - the federal law is the Fair Credit Collection Practices Act, and can be read on the FTC web site. Go to the "Dealing with your Debt Collectors" board and read the first few threads....URL's were given there. Note that you can demand that a collector end communication with you, but this can have the unpleasant effect of forcing their hand and filing suit since they no longer have an avenue of trying to negotiate with you.

John
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.