Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
You did not mention what you are invested in. As long as the investments with your full-service broker are in publicly traded instruments (i.e. stocks, bonds, Ts, mutual funds), you can have them transferred to any other broker, without having to sell them. Your new broker will have you fill out a transfer form and will do the work. The difficulty arises in annuities and mutual funds. Any in-house mutual fund will have to be liquidated. Some discount brokers may not handle some public mutual funds, which will have to be liquidated, too. And, annuities, as far as I can tell, are sponsored specifically by the brokerage. Consequently, you will have to remove money slowly, to avoid any extra fees.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.