Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
you didn't really make 41%, but only would have made 41% if you had been able to roll over you call a number of times with the stock not moving from its original position.

By selling the calls against the long stock position, it was a chance to make 41% annualized, as opposed to either a lesser yield in the same time frame without selling call premium or, as a long-shot which isn't part of my strategy, a huge gain if, say, the company gets bought.

I had already sold calls against this stock a number of times in previous months, but that doesn't seem pertinent to your response.

I really don't like annualizing covered call returns because it is totally unrealistic to assume that the stock won't move and you will be able to roll over covered calls a number of times.

I'm assuming the stock will move and that the short calls will be exercised, and that's regardless of the ability to roll the calls.

It seems that a stronger argument against discussing annualized gain is that the gain on each trade would have to be replicated for term 'annualized' to be meaningful.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.