Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
You do need to put it into a traditional (or "rollover") IRA to start with. Then you can convert ALL or PART of it into a Roth pretty much right away. Depending on who you get your IRA from, you can indicate on your rollover/traditional IRA paperwork that you want all or part of it to be converted into a Roth. Or, you can just arrange to call them when you want to make the conversion.

I went with Fidelity for my 401k-into-an-IRA thing. They have discounts if you have a certain amount invested with them as a household. And there are lots of mutual funds, both from Fidelity and from "partners" like T-Rowe Price and Oakmark, to choose from. You can also choose to put individual stocks or bonds in your IRA, as well. Vanguard would be another excellent choice.

I chose to convert just half of my money into a Roth for 2003, and then will convert the rest in 2004, so I don't have to pay so much in taxes in either year. You could maybe spread yours out over several years, if you want.

Good luck!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.