Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
No. of Recommendations: 0
You do not indicate how important the data files are. If they are important enough that you would have a hard time living without them, or cause financial losses, maybe this is the one time you might benefit by paying for a decent all-around back-up program, set it up once and never worry about it again. Just as important is where to send the backups, to an onsite drive or to a known-to-be-secure cloud service. (I use both.)

I use Macrium Reflect to backup 7 virtual drives--some monthly, some weekly, and financials daily. It's very reasonably priced, they have excellent customer service, very flexible options, and employ easy to set up automatic schedules. There are other good programs worth considering too. It's just that with something as important as digital banking, brokerage, insurance, legal documents, living wills, etc., plus contractual documents, I figure I can't afford to lose them (fire, flood, theft, lightning - yep, been there, done that -, grid failure, etc.) and they must be guaranteed encrypted and secure. Free programs usually guarantee nothing but the fact that the vendor is not responsible for ... well, anything. :)

If the data is "hobby data" you might consider, as someone mentioned above, the convenience of simply cloning the new drive (which is also available within Macrium Reflect, as is the ability to make Windows-bootable drives for use after a system blows up.)

Just my 2¢ worth of advice for cheap insurance for your consideration, and Free for Fools.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.