Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
You don't incur an income tax if you simply change custodians of the account, i.e. by shifting to Vanguard. (Or Schwab, or any other low-cost provider.)

I realize that were I to liquidate all my stocks and bonds in my IRA accounts that I could transfer the funds to Vanguard without incurring a tax liability. However, moving my IRA accounts doesn't change the tax liability that results from the IRS' Required Minimum Distribution.

At age 70 when RMD starts, the withdrawals will double my retirement income. I will move back to my pre-retirement tax rates. My question was more about whether to pay the fees directly and reduce taxable income or to pay the fees from the account reducing the RMD amount.

Vanguard costs average far less than 1%. What are you paying now?

I'm paying about 1%.

Take the time to educate yourself. You seem to lack some of the basic information you need. Not trying to insult you, but this fact screams from what you say.

I don't feel insulted. My retirement saving approach was dictated by the nature of my job. I have much to learn about investing and how to invest the RMD withdrawals.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.