Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
You don't say what program you will be in, but I can tell you this -- if it's a program that offers both Ph.D. and Master's degrees, most of the funding probably goes to the Ph.D. students and to the Master's students who plan to proceed directly to the Ph.D. program .

The thing to do in this case is to apply for the Ph.D. program to which many institutions (sorry not sure about Stanford) will admit you with the understanding that you will complete the Master's, there, first, as it is a prerequisite. This will likely place you in a sort of "middle" category if it works; not a Ph.D. student but an aspirant and thus qualifying for more funding than "just" a Master's student.

After all, who knows, you might go on to pursue the Ph.D. (not a good decisions financially in many fields, BTW). If not, you can leave after the Master's -- they cannot make you stay.

Good luck,
Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.