No. of Recommendations: 0
You have done a much better job to planing and executing than the vast majority of people. You are aware that higher returns have more risk and right now you are willing to accept lower returns. Not all bad, but in the not too distant future, inflation will ratchet up. When that happens bond prices will drop. On the assumption your bonds are mutual funds, you will be hurt. So I strongly suggest you start to lower you bond allocation to your long range target - I would do by a cost averaging approach - a little each month or two.

With regard to stocks, I would increase that also a bit at a time.

I expect you have a bit of time for self education and you certainly have the attitude. Go to the Bogleheads and start reading from the forum named "Investing - Help with Personal Investments"

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/index.php

Poke around the website there is a library with a lot of stuff you can read free instead of buying books.

I am a fan of William Bengen. There is a book he wrote for $65 at Amazon. It essentially tells you why and how the Safe Withdraw Rate system works. There are a lot of little details most people do not appreciate such as you get a higher rate of return if you re-balance less frequently than once a year -- max is something like once every 7 years.

HTH

Gordon
Atlanta
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.