Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
You have no more moral authority than I do. 1poorguy at least thinks some things are objectively wrong, but can't or won't articulate a coherent theory of how that can exist.

I don't think they are "objectively wrong". I freely admit that I have postulates. In quantum mechanics there are three postulates, unproven, that everything is based on. My "moral" postulate is as I said in previous replies. If someone has different "moral postulates" we can discuss it. Your moral postulate seems to be "what god says". Given that, I argue that my morality is far superior because it involves less human suffering.

Pretty simple.

We can debate whether such a God exists. 1poorguy is attempting to show that he doesn't, because in his theory, this God isn't moral.

The one has nothing to do with the other. There could very well be a profoundly evil (i.e. immoral) god. In fact, if the god of Abraham exists then there is a profoundly evil god. But I'm not arguing his non-existence. I'm arguing that there is very little morality to be found in the bible that secular society hasn't exceeded. I suspect none at all, but will leave a bit of wiggle room and say "very little".

So I won't address the existence question further in this thread. We're talking ethics.

Also, I'm not "cherry-picking". I selected one topic: slavery. And I exposed what the bible has to say about it. This topic isn't controversial at all. I think any random sampling of people will almost unanimously condemn slavery. Thus, no controversy. Except perhaps those trying to justify that those passages indicate a just, good, moral god.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.