Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
You have two choices:
1.) Pay the balance and wait for them to straighten it out.

2.) Send the balance minus $900 and wait for them to straighten out the mess. They will probably charge you interest on the balance.

As Ira pointed out, the $900 refund is already in the works. A good general rule for amended returns is to assume that the original return will be processed as filed. This is especially true in the OP's case, where it's been verified that the 2001 overpayment has been applied to prior years.

Phil Marti
Retired IRS Collection Officer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.