Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 5
You have two problems and this discussion is limited to only the amount of penalty due to underwithholding (problem #2).

First: You owe 2002 taxes which start accruing interest and penalty starting on 4/16/03. To stop the interest and penalties pay the shortage ASAP. Resetting your withholding for 2003 is an obvious necessity but can't correct these problems. I hope you can find more to deduct to reduce the taxes owed.

Second: You owe interst (penalty) for underpaying your taxes (not enough withholding in 2002). However, if you owe less than $1,000, there is no penalty. If you withheld at least as much as 2001 total taxes, no penalty, or if you withheld at least 90% of 2003 taxes, no penalty. I think CA penalties are similar.

The penalty is 5% simple interest on how much you missed these marks (except the $1,000). The first page of IRS form 2210 will show you the amount of penalty the IRS will calculate for you in the "Short Method".

You can reduce the penalty if:
1. you made the payments leading to your deductions ( or enough to get the full deduction) in the early part of the year (such as a capital loss carryover or retirement savings deposit), or
2. Your income was higher in the later part of the year (such as from mutual fund distributions or a bonus), or
3. You had more withholding in the early part of the year.
To take advantage of #1 oro #2 you need to complete form 2210 Schedule AI. For #3 you need to apply withholding in the quarters withheld instead of averaged over the year, an option on form 2210. If #2 was due to a bonus, #3 probably isn't going to be to your advantage.
You may be able to use all 3. There is a FREE demonstrator you can download to calculate the first quarter of the 2210 AI for either year, 2002 or 2003 at Although the program was designed to compute future installments for self employed or retire taxpayers, it will work for computing the effect of #1, #2 and #3 above for last year. IF the program readout shows a first quarter required installment (or withholding) due of less than the displayed safe harbor amount, using the AI will reduce your penalty. Your tax program will prepare the forms for you or you can register the program to compute the later quarters. You need EXcel 97 or later to rund the program, however, you can download and then copy the unzipped file to a floppy disk and run it on any computer that has Excel97. I hope this helped you. ed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.