No. of Recommendations: 0
You honestly question the reality of the consciousness you experience every waking moment? I somehow doubt that.

In my daily living? No. There wouldn't be any point to it. I assume I'm not plugged into the Matrix, I assume I function with free will, I assume I am conscious. But if asked to prove any of those things, I cannot. And in at least one case I have no reason to believe it is true (free will). In a discussion of this type I think we need to concede all those points.

At some point the belief that something exists outside your mind requires a leap of faith.

But we're talking about stuff inside our brains. Consciousness. Dreams. The Mind.

True, something can exist without me being able to demonstrate it. Russell's Teapot may exist. But the skeptic doesn't operate on faith, they operate on facts. I have no reason to believe Russell's Teapot exists, and so I assume it does not. There are reasons to believe dark matter exists, but I withhold judgment since this isn't my field. There is no reason to believe there is a deity, so I don't. Etc.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.