Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
You ignore our $27T National Debt. It is like me living in a McMansion and am wealthy for all outward appearances but the dark little secret is I have a $10M balance on my Visa Card. If Visa ever stops raising my credit limit, you will quickly see how poor I really am.

This 'household budget' version of the national debt is fundamentally flawed. The important, key difference between the government's defict vs a household deficit is that We the People, the citizens and residents of the USA don't owe $27T to a profit hungry credit card company: we instead owe that money mostly to ourselves!

So to take that important fact over to the household budget, it's like you borrowed $10M from your E-Trade account, at an extremely low interest rate, to finance building a house and to float household expenses for the year while you build it. The money was yours in the first place, you've just moved it around, and the repayment is basically a non-burden and a neutral event to the overall balance books.

Yeah, maybe you borrowed some small proportion of those funds from other friends/family. Still the interest rate is extremely low and repayment isn't a burden.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.