Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
You know about the Covid pre-test requirement for Hawaii, yes? Can you share how you plan to handle that? (The 72-hour turnaround requirement for the specific type of test Hawaii requires can be problematic.)

We'd like to get back to Hawaii in late March, but the test requirement has me stumped. (We'd be departing from Michigan.)

Short story long: We bought a condo on Maui in November 2019 to be used as a vacation rental. However, we haven't stayed in it since we bought it (thanks COVID!). So last month there was a free week open, which we booked about a week in advance and hopped on over. Business trip, you see.

The COVID test process was pretty slick. We booked through Carbon Health. They had tons of appointments all through the day, and they promised to return results by 2:00 pm the next day, but it was more like 10:00 am. The test took less ten minutes from getting out of the car to getting back in the car. With a negative test they give you a QR code which you must show to stay at a hotel or rent a car.

Alaska Airlines (and I think maybe Hawaiian does this too now) scanned our QR code before getting on the plane and gave us a wrist band. The wrist band allowed us to skip the QR code check upon landing at the airport (No QR code? Quarantine for you!).

I felt like the flight was safe. No middle seats, no meal service, and everyone had just been tested negative after all. Once in Hawaii, everyone was pretty much masked up and we only went out to eat a couple times, but we ate at open air restaurants (which is most of them) and restaurant capacities were at 25%.

I should say, I'm Seattle where there are lots of flights to Hawaii, so testing here is probably easier than many other places, but overall it couldn't have gone smoother.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.