No. of Recommendations: 38
You know, I genuinely don't understand why some folks seem to fairly burn with indignation at off-topic posts. I mean, they must know how to read the boards in "threaded" mode. They must know how to refrain from clicking on posts that are clearly marked "OT" (or maybe they can't refrain? is that it? it's an impulse control disorder or a frontal lobe problem?). Yet, despite their knowledge of how to navigate the boards, they simply can't resist sputtering with outrage whenever they see that "OT" designation.

Which brings me to my theories.

1. People who shriek about "OT" posts are maniacal control-freaks who organize their freezers by type of frozen item, who always have the toilet paper rolling off the top of the roll, and who designate a Topic Du Jour at the dinner table, throwing food in the face of anyone who dares deviate from it.

"Tonight's Topic Du Jour: Rousseau, pedant or peasant? Discuss."
"Dad, can you pass the potat - "
"THAT IS NOT RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC DU JOUR!"
SPLAT

2. People who shriek about "OT" posts are embittered and lonely souls who sit in their poorly-heated apartments in ratty-ass slippers and mutter to themselves all night long about "kids these days" and "what's the world coming to" and "why when I was young," and who believe that the members of TMF boards have installed cameras in their apartments and are watching their every move, the "OT" designation actually being a secret code known only to their tormentors.

01010101 OT = KILL 01010101

3. [My personal favorite] People who shriek about "OT" posts are in fact masters of irony, postmodern deconstructionists who are implicitly critiquing the form of the post even as they employ it as a means of self-expression, pointing as they do to the multiple and frequently contradictory meanings inherent in any type of discourse, their subtle wit evident in the fact that by making a post to complain about off-topic posting, they are themselves making an off-topic post.

bookgrrrl
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.