Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
You know, I hadn't thought about leasing - but you're right - two of the biggest disadvantages of leasing are the mileage penalty and the wear other than normal wear and tear clause. Neither of these things would be a problem. Also, I'm not sure how well the coupe will hold up in the resale market - would give me a guaranteed out. Balanced against that, I'd give up the 1% cash back that I'd get if I paid for it with my TMF Visa. Also, just the hassle of writing out a check each month. My gestalt is that it'd be cheaper just to pay cash - but you've given me something else to think about.

I wouldn't go anywhere near a lease for a 3rd vehicle of this type. If you do so, you pretty well agree to taking the depreciation hit for the most expensive years of ownership. Under the usage model you project for this vehicle as a "garage queen", it will be maintained in pristine condition, with low mileage. Why should you lock yourself into a typical depreciation model, with a fixed residual, when your car will likely be in better than average condition in 3-4 years? Your best choice financially is to buy this car and keep it for 10 years or more. With light usage, 10 years is easily achievable, and the annual cost of ownership will plummet over time. With a lease, you would be looking for a new car every 3 years or so, and continuing to pay the largest portion of depreciation each time you go for a new one.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.